Friday 30 October 2015

Tutorial #2 feedback

After mentioning that I would still love to write a comic for this project, we decided that I should - it is something that I feel passionate about, and relates even more to my essay than just character design does. I am going to show that females can have the exact same Hero's Journey as males can, despite Campbell saying otherwise and a new 'Heroine's Journey' having been designed for females. I think that the biggest influence on a hero's journey, gender wise, would be the people around the character - may they would have different hopes and expectations of a character, but the character themself does not have to think any differently (even though they can). The hero pushes the story more than those around them, so I think that a female hero can definitely experience the Hero's Journey if they want to. I want to use Vogler's version of the journey rather than Campbells for this, because I think it is more relevant to stories and the audience now, and Campbell's involves more stages, which I will have more trouble fitting into a comic.

We talked about using the comic as the essay - directly showing each stage of the Hero's Journey as the heroine experiences it. Narration boxes, I think, would work best for this. At first I was thinking of just having an objective, disembodied narrator talking us through it, but I think we can actually see the heroine's personality much more if it was her thought boxes we were reading instead. I would just need to make sure that her thoughts show clearly the stages she is experiencing, maybe trying to get the actual phrases Vogler uses into her thoughts and showing them in bold.

The style of the comic will need to be simplistic enough that I have time to draw it all, yet still interesting enough that the viewer can enjoy it. I might explore a few indie comics that use more diverse styles than typical DC/Marvel comics nowadays (though artists like Marvel's McKelvie and DC's Cloonan do have art styles that could be worth looking at, since they aren't stylised like other typical comics).

No comments:

Post a Comment