Saturday 19 December 2015

Lighting Reference

Superhero comics enjoy being dramatic, which is why I want to incorporate dramatic lighting into my comic. For the stages of Crossing the Threshold and later on, I have planned the time of day to be around sunset to best make use of lighting. The warehouse where the final fight is staged has a large window at the end of the walkway, behind where the villain will be standing. This means that the villain will be backlit, allowing me to show off their silhouette and make the scene more ominous. This also lets me use red lighting, to signify danger, evil, bloodshed etc. to really build up the scene. As the fight progresses, the sun will continue to set and will eventually let the sky outside turn dark, with only the moon in view. The moon's light will be much more neutral and cast white light onto the scene, which signifies innocent, rebirth, purity which all work for the scene after the villain is defeated, and the innocent civilian has been rescued.











I think that gradients will definitely help me achieve this lighting, as well as maybe some use of layer/blending modes. I need to make sure that I do not spend too long on the colouring in order to get all pages done, but this may just mean colouring in grayscale first, before going back and adding colour which should help me get the right amounts of contrast anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment